It has been exactly six months since my last post (you must be thinking “six months, Tatiana??”). Yes, six months… but I have my reasons, I swear. It was a period of big changes and I was studying to take some exams for a position I was applying, so no much time left for cooking. For those who don’t know, we’ve moved out of England to Brazil in January and until last week I didn’t have my pots/pans and kitchen gadgets. It was hard, but I survived! Now we’re here with lots of boxes around and slowly finding a new place for everything… well, almost everything. The stuff we cannot fit in the apartment will be kept in boxes for now. All I can say is that our new place is starting to look like “home” again :)
To celebrate the return of my posts and the fact that May has arrived, which for me means BIRTHDAY, I had to choose something related to party. There you have it… another Brazilian fudge very typical in birthday parties called “beijinhos” (meaning “little kisses”). They are little balls made with condensed milk and coconut. It can’t be bad, right?
Enjoy and I promise it won’t take me another six months to post the next recipe ;)
- 1 can (397 g) condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 6 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- desiccated coconut to roll the little balls
- cloves to decorate (1 per ball)
- butter to grease your hands
- In a medium saucepan, add the condensed milk and butter. Take to medium/low head, stirring until it starts to boil. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened and you see the bottom of the pan (about 10 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and add the coconut. Transfer to a greased plate and let it cool. When it is at room temperature, cover with cling film and put in the fridge for about three hours. It is easier to roll the balls when the mixture is cold.
- Separate 25 small paper cases. Grease your hands with butter and take small portions of the mixture (about 1 teaspoon), shaping it into a ball. Roll over desiccated coconut and decorate with a clove. Put into the paper cases.
Yield: 25 medium size or 40 small sweets.