There are so many reasons why you should try these cookies, so it won’t be any hard for me to convince you. First of all, how can you go wrong with the combination macadamia nuts + cranberries? Second, they are good for you, not just by making you happy, but because they don’t take butter. That’s right… NO BUTTER! It’s “macadamia butter” 😉 So all the fat comes from the macadamia nuts.
I first tried these when Risé (my roommate when I was in the US) made them and they are now on my favorite cookies list for sure. The original recipe is in the Cooking Light Cookbook of 2006, which was my Christmas present in 2007 also from Risé. So thanks Risé for giving a try to these wonderful treats!
I thought about adding chunks of white chocolate to the dough, but then it would miss the purpose of being light… and I already ate two of them.
Macadamia Butter Cookies with Dried Cranberries
- 2/3 cup macadamia nuts
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries, chopped
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (optional… I also like them without the sugar)
- Preheat oven to 375°F/190°C/170°C gas.
- Place nuts in a food processor and process until smooth. Combine macadamia butter, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed. Add vanilla and egg; beat well.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and ground nutmeg, stirring with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture; beat at low speed just until combined (mixture will be very thick). Stir in chopped cranberries. Chill 10 minutes.
- Divide chilled dough into 30 equal portions; roll each portion into a ball. Place 1 tablespoon granulated sugar in a small bowl (if using). Lightly press each ball between your hands and press one side on the sugar (if using); place the cookie, sugar side up, on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Gently press the top of each cookie with a fork. Place 15 cookies on each of 2 baking sheets, allowing about 1 inch between them.
- Bake cookies, 1 baking sheet at a time, at 375°F/190°C for 9 minutes or until golden. Remove cookies from pan; cool on a wire rack. Repeat procedure with remaining cookies.
Yields: 30 cookies
Nutrition Information per cookie: Calories: 76, Fat 2.5g, Saturated fat: 0.4g, Monounsaturated fat: 1.8g, Polyunsaturated fat: 0.1g, Protein: 1g, Carbohydrate: 13.2g, Fiber: 0.6g, Cholesterol: 7mg, Iron: 0.5mg, Sodium: 44mg, Calcium: 7mg