It’s been a while since I posted something here, hasn’t it? Please, forgive me! I have to confess (and you’ve noticed already) that I’m not really good at keeping the regularity of the posts. Work and other daily things make me leave the blog for later and when I realize it’s been more than a month since the last post. I need to change that… and I promise I will try harder to do so 😉
To try to redeem myself I picked this recipe… a typical savoury Brazilian tart, which is very versatile, easy and delicious. There is no need to make a crust here. You simply make a batter using a blender and you’re done and the filling can be anything you like. This one I made with chicken, sweetcorn and roasted peppers, but you could use tuna, ham and cheese, mince meat or vegetables. You choose. It is perfect to take to a picnic, for the kid’s lunch boxes or even for your work lunch with a side salad.
Easy Chicken Tart
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp parmesan cheese (optional)
- 500g chicken breast, cooked and shredded
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 can sweet corn
- 1/2 jar roasted peppers
- 100g cream cheese
- Preheat oven to 180˚C.
- Prepare the filling first. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the onions. Sauteé until it starts to become translucent. Add the chicken, which is already cooked and shredded. Season with sal, pepper, paprika or however you like. Add the sweet corn and peppers. Cook for about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- For the batter, beat the eggs, oil and milk in a blender. Add the flour slowly until you have a smooth batter. Add the baking powder, salt and parmesan cheese (if using) and beat a little more until all combined.
- Grease a baking tin or a pyrex (approximately 23 x 30cm) with batter and sprinkle flour all over it. Pour half of the batter into the tin, spread the filling and add small portions of cream cheese all over it. Cover with the other half of the batter.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until it is baked and lightly golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and let it cool a little before cutting into squares and serve.
Yield: 20 medium squares