I made these cupcakes to take to work and raise funding for Race for Life, which is a big event that happens every year in the UK to raise money for Cancer Research UK. All I have to say is that they disappeared very quickly 🙂
The recipe for the cupcakes is from this book and I have to confess one sin… I didn’t make the buttercream given in the recipe 😛 I just bought some vanilla frosting at the store with some things for decoration, but I’m posting the original lemon buttercream in case you wanna make everything from scratch.
Lemon Cupcakes with Vanilla Frosting
- 115g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 115g butter, softened
- 115g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- finely grated rind of one lemon
- 2 tbsp milk
- 85g butter, softened
- 175g icing sugar
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- sugar flowers, silver balls, or anything you like for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 190C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with 12 paper cases.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, add the butter, sugar, eggs, lemon rind and milk, and beat together until smooth. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases filling up to 2/3 of each paper case.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until well risen and golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream, place the butter in a bowl and beat until fluffy. Sift in the icing sugar, add the lemon juice and beat together until smooth and creamy.
- When the cupcakes are cold, put the buttercream in a pipping bag and pipe over the cupcakes. Decorate as you wish.